Using Alpha Lipoic Acid When Experiencing Weight Gain
Weight gain...two words that instill fear and dread in most people who hear them. Alpha lipoic acid (ALA)...three words that should instill hope and excitement; yet most people may never have heard them spoken. ALA is an antioxidant that helps control blood sugar and aids in weight loss and maintenance.
Other benefits include protection against cardiovascular disease and lowering cholesterol levels. Along with a reduced calorie diet and moderate exercise, ALA has been shown to achieve greater weigh loss than with diet and exercise alone.
Alpha lipoic acid has many useful properties. It breaks down amino acid chains, activates enzymes important in energy production and is an extremely powerful antioxidant. It is this last property that makes it helpful for fat reduction, because it is the most effective antioxidant inside the mitochondria of muscle cells.
What does that mean in English? The only place in your body where fat is burned is inside muscle cells, so getting sufficient ALA keeps your fat-burning engine running as efficiently as possible. Who doesn't want to burn fat more efficiently while increasing energy levels?
In weight gain studies on mice, ALA's ability to increase energy expenditure was evident. Those treated with ALA were noted to be much more physically active and actually chose to eat less than those that did not receive the nutritional supplement, even when offered equal amounts of food. While both groups consumed the same diet, the group treated with ALA gained 40 percent less weight than the untreated rodents.
Another unique property of ALA is its ability to increase glucose (sugar) storage in muscle tissue and not in adipose (fat) tissue. This can lead to greater performance, increased muscle activity and growth, greater support of lean body mass and a further reduction in the likelihood of fat storage. This not only benefits those looking to lose a few pounds and tone up, it can mean help with daily management of glucose levels for diabetics, reduction in cholesterol levels, and protection against cardiovascular disease.
Weight gain is no laughing matter. Not only does taking alpha lipoic acid along with a healthy diet and moderate exercise help turn the gain into a loss, it has added benefits like helping diabetics manage their disease, reducing cholesterol and increasing energy. And unlike some "weight loss" supplements with harsh, sometimes embarrassing side effects, ALA has very few side effects. Instances of mild headache, rash, tingling sensations and muscle cramps have been reported in a small number of cases.
Mike Selvon has some informative antioxidant nutrition articles for the creative mind. Find out more about weight gain at his resourceful site. We appreciate your feedback at our powerful antioxidant blog.
Hot Topics In Weight Loss
Back to reality this week with the shock news that my weight did not go down enough to report; probably no more than a few ounces (around 50 grams). Hence I'm sad to report tha...
I am not against the occasional McDonald's, that won'...
1. Counting calories.
- The 7 Day Fat Burner Free Trial Scam & Why You Must Avoid It!
- How To Stop Over Eating
- Exercise - The Most Powerful Drug
- Lasting Weight Loss By Counting Your Steps
- Visualizing Your Way to a Healthy Weight
- Lose Weight - Snacks that Keep Weight off
- Blood Sugar and Burning Fat - Part 1
- Fighting Obesity With Fat Burners
- AriZona Diet Green Tea with Ginseng Extract
- Avoid These Dieting Mistakes And Reach Your Weight Loss Target
- Definite Diet Don'ts - Learn How To Not Sabotage Your Diet Goals
- Lose Weight Now! Try the Mediterranean Diet and Hypnosis
- The Best Way to Lose Fat Fast
- Tips for Weight Loss for You and I
- Alternative Solutions to Conquering Weight Loss
- 3 Pitfalls of Non-fat Dieting
- Healthy Weight Loss - How Much Weight Will Be Healthy
- Abdominal Weight Loss. . . Losing Fat From Your Middle
- Who Influences You?
- The Secret Of Making Weight Loss Work For You
- Arm Exercises
- Ayurvedic Medicine
- Brain Cancer
- Cell Biology
- Chair Massage
- Congenital Disorders
- Drugs and Medication
- Eye Health
- Fungal Infection
- Healthy Diet
- Herbal Medicines
- Herbs Medicine
- High Blood Pressure
- Immune Disorders
- Insect Bites
- Klinefelter's Syndrome
- Liver Failure
- Massage Therapy
- Meniere's Disease
- Neck Pain
- Personal Care
- Premenstrual Syndrome
- Teen Health
- Alternative A-Z | Beauty A-Z | Disease & Conditions A-Z | Fitness A-Z | Health A-Z | Home Life A-Z | Medicine A-Z | Remedies A-Z | Disease Therapy A-Z
- Health Topics | Articles | Encyclopedia | Glossaries | Directories | Archives | Rss Channel | Blog | China Health Online | 365 Health Online | InfoDaily
- Beauty Accessories
- Beauty Products
- Beauty Recipes
- Beauty Tips
- Body Care
- Breast Enhancement
- Cosmetic Surgery
- Cosmetics Advice
- Dark Circles
- Dental Care
- Dry Skin
- Essential oils
- Eye Care
- Face Care
- Facial Exercise
- Fasting and Cleansing
- Fitness Equipments
- Hair Care
- Hair Removal
- Lip Care
- Nail Care
- Oily Skin
- Plastic Surgery
- Skin Allergy
- Skin Care
- Skin Tanning
- Tooth Whitening
- Weight Control
- Weight Loss